Sunday, February 24, 2008

I wanna' hear O'Bama


(Photo - 6 year old R. VArner draws her room)
It's after 8:15 PM and I'm supposed to send the kiddies to beddy-bye.....but I thought I'd add to their political acumen. The Democratic debate was on and I'm trying to decide if the Democratic ticket will get my vote this time around. I'm leaning towards McCain, but Obama is becoming hard for me to decide against. I've kinda' realized that I'm more of a conservative independent than anything else........ I asked the kids to come in the bedroom and watch a few minutes of the debate. I shared with them that Obama would be the first American (United States of America) president of obvious and prominent Afrikan descent and Clinton would be the nation's first Woman President if elected. We discussed how the Caribbean, Africa, South American and Latin America has had men who have showed African features, we discussed how there have been Women presidents in Africa and other countries. I allowed them to watch a little and then I sent them to their rooms. A moment later I saw some shaking beads at the door. I directed the little girl to go to her room. She placed her hand over her face preparing to cry and sobbed "I just wanted to hear Obama. I heard Hillary speak, I just wanted to hear his voice and hear what he has to say." While directing her to choose between following my directions or earning a spanking as well as leaving those cry-on-demand tears in their sockets I thought about the position I'm in. Here she is wanting to listen to a Presidential debate at six years of age and I feel the need to enforce a parental limit. Good parenting has often placed me into a position where I have to decide what's best between good options. Some parents have to decide the lesser between two evils such as being kicked out of their apartment or allowing their son/daughter to profit from the drug trade. I know many of these parents and while I've enjoyed friendship of these parents I do not wish to join their ranks. My daughter choose the bed over the beating - good choice. When daughter-girl awoke the next morning she asked me "What did Obama say Daddy ?" I then discussed his statements and she smiled. "Daddy can I hear him the next time he's on t.v. ?" she asked. I can't remember if I answered or not. I do remember the smile that warmed my heart, and feeling secure in my decision to remain a firm parent. I'm sure Obama, Hillary, and McCain would all vote in my favor. American needs more better parents more than we need any of these candidates or political groups.
Side note: The next day daughter-girl shared with her mommy-grandmother how she attempted to sneak another peek at Obama. She ended her description of the event by saying "Grammy, they're both trying to become President......but we already have an American president !"

No comments: