Sunday, January 6, 2008

She's always be my joy...

It's one thing to be a father to my children....It's totally another joy to be a Father-figure to another's child. I'm blessed to be all that and some-mo- stuff ! My brother Daniel has two lovely little ones (seen here cheek-to-fore head on a trip to A-T-L Georgia!) who have indeed stolen a father's heart. Dominique, the youngest of Daniel's, calls me "Co-Co" which sometimes means 'Uncle' and other times means "Seko". She can truly lighten the load of life when she enters the room with a smile that wipes away disasters. Demya became Dan's when he married his wife. Demya is so full of emotion and tugs at my heart-strings each time she slaps on a warm extended hug. I never realized how 'fatherly' the position of Uncle can be. I actually feel responsible for their well-being and often think about them when I'm buying things for Mi-Ninos. Today we ate lunch at Ce-Ce's Pizza as a united front. Daniel and his family and Familia-mio. Looking at the eight of us at one table quietly celebrating family is a bit life-changing. Today Dad (My Blog Bout' Me Daddy) presided upon his last service for a church in Chesapeake. The eight of us planned to worship with Pops this morning and we all forgot about it until we came together for lunch. As I remembered Pops service it came across me that I was where I needed to be...... with family. Dan and I seem to be growing closer again and I love how my children enjoy their auntie & uncle. Family is indeed the cornerstone of a civilization, and I'm warm on the inside considering that I'm following the Creator's plan of family. God is good, Family is good. While pondering this emotional nugget Demya had an emotional meltdown as her mother Hope-Dori informed her of the family's plan to move from their current townhouse to save some money to buy a home. As she sobbed "I don't want to go, I don't want to go." I felt her cutting pain. I expect to feel my children's pain, yet I felt this child's pain in a way I've never experienced before in my 11 years of being an empathic counselor to school children and three years as a classroom teacher. This pain it me like my children's pain..... That mix of pain with a smile knowing that the pain was a temporary staircase leading to a better quality of life. I realized how much I love Demya with each of her tears. Last year when Daniel married Dori he presented and placed a ring upon Demya's finger during the reception vowing to never forsake her as a father. The whole crowd was boo-hooing following my crying-like-a-punk self. I was DJing the event and introduced the surprise event with a quiver in my voice as I held back my tears. Prior to the wedding Demya had been on pins and needles.... As much as she loved Dan she was so scared that he would leave she and her mother worse than found. Dan's actions were ritualistic and symbolic and touching. I didn't get paid for doing Dan's event, my price for the DJ/Entertainment work I did for his event would have been $1,250. Watching him place that ring onto Demya's finger and making that promise to be a father would have been something I would have paid $1,250 to see. As I watched Demaya's meltdown I began to melt. So much so that Wifey informed me later that while I was hypnotized by Demya's tears my daughter was carrying on a conversation with me. I was too touched by my Honor-Roll student (Demaya) to notice that the world was moving around me. It's moments like this when Father-hood, or Uncle-hood as it is, is something to treasure.
Crisette Michele has a beautiful song named "Your Joy." While riding in the car Rukiya began singing the chorus ("you'll always be my father, and I'll always be your Joy") to me and I teared up like a punk. Since then I've been calling her 'Joyful'. While hugging everyone off today from the pizza place Demaya gave me her normal hug and I blurted-out "My Joyful Honor Roll Student". While she may never know the importance of my hug-talk, her presence has been a joy to me. I look forward to dancing with the bride at her wedding. Since I met her, she's always been my Joy.

No comments: