Friday, March 12, 2010

We need to tell our own stories

We need to tell our own stories
I was reading about The Blind Side, yet another "Whitey Saves The Negroes" movie, based on a true story, starring Sandra Bullock - you know the one she one the Oscar for. I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if the Oscar was well deserved or, like Denzel in Training Day, the Academy finally got around to recognizing her body of work and that just happened to be the movie she was doing at the time, but it got me to thinking:

Where are the Negro Saves The Whitey films? Where are the stories like the true story of my father turning around the Boy Scout Troop I belonged to from a troop that was dying spiritually and physically into a troop that not only made me an Eagle Scout, but boasted more Eagle Scouts during his tenure than in the entire history of the troop?

Walt

2 comments:

Mocha Dad said...

Those stories are fairy tales in the eyes of many Americans.

Sean said...

we have to do it