Monday, July 20, 2009

Open Palms

Tonight the Wifey and I carried our Ninos into the house, both dead-weights lumped over in our arms oblivious to the struggles of their parents. Tonight was a struggle. Tomorrow was going to be a struggle.

Tonight I returned from work with the Sun-son who was too sick to go to summer camp. It was about 6:15 pm. He hung with me today and I completed reports and delivered paperwork and such. As I sat down to take a phone call he ran up to me stating "Mom needs you upstairs immediately. The struggle begins...

Around 7:30 p.m. I drove into a car wash to vacuum the truck when I received the call from the Wifey. I had dropped her off minutes ago at the hospital to check on her mother who had been rushed into the hospital. She was now calling me telling me I needed to return. I dropped off the kids with a friend and returned to the the hospital.

It's now 12:00 am the next day and I'm writing this entry. I'm nervous about the struggle. We must now share with our kids that their beloved Grammy is an ancestor.

I know that there is nothing that I can say that will wipe away their tears. Truthfully I do not know what to say. I do not know how to say it. As I held onto my mother-in-laws lifeless hands in the Emergency room I asked her to allow Christ to tell her what to tell me to say. I know that as an ancestor I'll be visited by her somehow. I pray that it comes before my kids awake.

1 comment:

JesPlayin said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you in this time of sorrow. It came as quite a shock to me, as Ms. S had always seemed such a vibrant and lively person. I spent much of yesterday morning thinking about how she 'adopted' our family so that 'Yej (when it was just Yej) could have a local grandma'. That was probably the sweetest thing anyone's ever said/done for us.
I also awoke to the news this morning that my Uncle in Nigeria passed away unexpectedly this morning. So much death and sorrow lately...
I know it's a fact of life, but it gets to be too much sometimes.